The second volume of the book, which covers the period from the autumn of 1919 to 1958, also saw the light of day in the spring of 2004. During this time, university technical education could be obtained by studying at the technical faculties of the University of Latvia (Riga University and Latvian State University). In the summer of 1919, the Latvian Higher School (LHA) resumed operations and, by government order, included all former RPI property, declaring RPI closed. LHA resumed studies on 29 September 1919 at the faculties of Architecture, Chemistry, Engineering, Mechanics, Agriculture, as well as Economics and Law and Medicine. In 1923, the Saeima of the Republic of Latvia approved the Constitution of the University and it was named the University of Latvia (UL).
The author of the foreword of the book is RTU Rector Academician Ivars Knēts. The material of the book is divided into five chapters, taking into account the political system existing in Latvia at that time. Chapter 1 covers the conditions of the UL in the conditions of independent Latvia, the 2nd – the period of Soviet occupation from 1940 to 1941, the 3rd – the years of Nazi German occupation (1941–1944), the 4th chapter deals with the pedagogical and scientific work of UL technical faculty members and graduates emigration, but Chapter 5 covers the period from the post-war years to 1958, when Riga Polytechnic Institute was re-established. The third volume of the book is about the renewed RPI. The authors of the book and the editorial board – Academicians Ivars Knēts and Jānis Stradiņš, the editor-in-chief, doctor of biological sciences Juris Briedis, doctors of engineering Ilgars Grosvalds and Helmuts Guļevskis, assistant professor Jānis Klētnieks and master of pedagogy Alīda Zigmunde have done a tremendous job of becoming this volume.