In 1958, Riga Polytechnic Institute was restored on the basis of the State University of Latvia. It again became an independent university education institution with almost 3000 students. Already after the first five years of study, the number of students more than tripled. New full-time faculties were also established, numbering 10 at the end of the 1980s: Architecture and Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Technology, Mechanics and Machine Engineering, Instrument Engineering and Automation, Radio Engineering and Communications, Electroenergetics, Automation and Computer Technology, Radio Engineering and Communications, Engineering Economics and Public Sciences. Studies also took place in the faculties and study counselling points of the evening and extramural departments.
RPI training took place in both Latvian and Russian according to the course system.