At the beginning of 1919, Latvian Higher School was established on the basis of five faculties of Riga Polytechnic Institute. With the strengthening of the independent state of Latvia, on 28 September 1919, the University of Latvia with nine faculties was officially opened. For the first time in the history of Latvia, studies at the university took place in Latvian.
The university received the name of the University of Latvia in 1923, it was a unified type of university that combined technical, natural and humanity sciences. It included all RPI faculties, except Commerce. For the next 40 years, university technical education in Latvia was associated with the University of Latvia and the State University of Latvia.